Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Six Burner - 1627 W. Main St. Richmond, VA

Ahh, back in the saddle again. Time to dust off the typing fingers and get back to writing about what I love- food.
For my inaugural Richmond post, I visited Six Burner in the Fan. Parking turned out not to be the challenge I anticipated, so the evening started out smoothly. I was even early which is kind of a big deal- just ask someone who knows me. The hostess promptly greeted us, complemented me on my dress (how lovely of her), and seated us in a very clean, if not slightly tight, booth. Our party complete, we started out with cocktail orders. Six Burner has a very unique drink menu which convinced our group to stray from defaulting to wine right away. Each cocktail turned out to be refreshing, albeit somewhat surprising for my husband (whose Maker's Mark drink came in a very manly champagne flute).
Both the fried green tomato and fried oyster appetizers were delicious. The crust on each was well-seasoned and crunchy. Accompanying sauces added to, rather than overwhelmed, the dish.
The main course did not disappoint. The oyster mushroom bucatini had a wonderfully earthy and complex flavor. It wasn't the most lady-like to eat in the company of others, but I found myself not really caring after a few bites! The wine in the sauce (I think it was madeira) gave the dish a pleasant, unexpected taste and the cheese provided just the right salty note. Unfortunately, I did fall down on the job a bit and didn't taste what anyone else ordered. Apparently I was a little too wrapped up in my own selection- will do better next time.
Our server was knowledgable and very accommodating. When we were ready for wine, her Pinot Noir recommendation was spot on. She made sure my entree did not have too much cream and was just really approachable and good-natured in general.
I would certainly recommend Six Burner (can't wait to try their tasting menu one of these weeknights) and think I might really like it here in Richmond!

No comments:

Post a Comment